We'd like to thank our loyal friends that visited our blog on a regular basis. As a group we've decided that we no longer want to post work on a weekly basis but on our own personal schedules. We plan on continuing with the site as more of a reference place for our work than a working weekly blog. Please continue to check in once in a while to see if we've posted new work and always visit our galleries to see what work is still for sale.Thank you for all of your support over the past year.
-Quarterlife Artists

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Documenting

I've found my family's stash of old photo albums, mostly all black and white pictures tucked into photo corners stuck to fragile paper pages. I've spent a lot of time looking through tons of these beautiful, random, funny pictures. They aren't just family group shots in front of the Grand Canyon or at birthday parties, but of my grandparents and long lost aunts and uncles and friends standing on the porch, posing in bathing suits, looking at new cars, etc.

So I got to thinking a lot about documenting and leaving something behind. If no one was there to take all these random pictures, those people and their relationships and beauty would be lost. All these people are still alive because they took the time to leave themselves behind. It's scary to think about enough time passing where after you are gone, no one will know about you and your life. Memories can only be carried so far before they fade. Anyway, I hope that I can do something for future people to find and keep and hold that says I was here and had a fun life and made connections with others.

My series will be a collection of little doodley drawings of some of these snapshots I've found. Eventually it would be neat to put them all together on a wall in a sort of homage collage. I don't think you necessarily need to know the people to have a connection to them so I hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful words and descriptions you have used in a poetic tribute to the past and people. You are a writer as well as an artist.

Mary Adams

Anonymous said...

Life is a funny thing - how it comes and goes. Funnier than that, though, are the memories that end up being preserved. They are never the events or thoughts that seem at the time to be memorable. Memories are usually made up of things that hardly seemed worth remembering at the time they happened! I guess that just another of those mysteries of life!