We'd like to thank our loyal friends that visited our blog on a regular basis. As a group we've decided that we no longer want to post work on a weekly basis but on our own personal schedules. We plan on continuing with the site as more of a reference place for our work than a working weekly blog. Please continue to check in once in a while to see if we've posted new work and always visit our galleries to see what work is still for sale.Thank you for all of your support over the past year.
-Quarterlife Artists

Friday, November 2, 2007

My new post day is Friday...

I went to see a documentary film at the Detroit Film Theater tonight called "My Kid Could Do That." It was about the rise and fall of a 4-year old girl's fame in the art world after being hyped up in the media as a child prodigy painter. I really urge people to try and see it if they can, regardless if they are art followers or not because it was finally something that made you use your brain. There were so many questions that were raised and ideas that got people talking afterwards about what modern art really is, finding truth, marketing and money, the huge role that media plays in what gets importance, and so much more. It really gave me this energy to think beyond what is shown. This little innocent four-year old girl is having her childhood jerked around and portrayed as genius and then scandal and trying to get back on top again by her parents (mainly her father) whose motives are shady. Unsure if the work produced is really all hers or secretly "helped" by her dad, it was unsettling even at the end because no real conclusion was made. If it wasn't hers wouldn't it be a huge scandal and if it was authentic what does that mean to the whole idea of modern art if a toddler's scribbles can be worth millions if marketed the right way to the right rich people.

Anyway, please check it out if you can MARLA

My banana drawing this week feels silly in comparison to the things that I'm thinking about now, but it's also something to put up while I am (still) working on my tulips and another portrait painting. Coming soon....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie sounds very intereting. However, your bananas are not "silly." Art cannot, no must not, be judged by how much money someone will pay to acquire it. The ability to make drawings, paintings, sculptures, etc. that others can look at and enjoy or discuss is a talent beyond value. Just do it, and those of us without the talent will look and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

How fortunate that we can take advantage of the Detroit Film Theatre and soon the re-opening of the DIA. The experience of the documentary film was thought provoking. I love when an intelligent discussion can stimulate our responses to art!

Mary

Anonymous said...

It seems that there are many ways to judge art. It can be judged by how closely it resembles something real. It can be judged by how closely it resembles something imaginary. It can also be judged by its emotional impact. To me the important thing is not how it makes me feel but rather does it make me feel something.

It sounds like the movie - and I have not seen it - questioned the value of education and experience. Asking perhaps if a child can produce art that some critic raves about can art education and in fact art critics have value.

For me - I have seen very few Picasso's that I would care to hang on my wall let alone pay actual money for. This is just one example I do not mean to pick on Mr. Picasso. Countless people and critics love his work, me not so much. However, my walls are covered in works by children, including both my own children and the children of others.

I do not know what that means about me or about art. However, I certainly do not think that it proves anything about Picasso. All I can say is that I hope that the world will continue to be filled with artists from four to ninety.

The DAD